2017-2018 Legislation Agenda
Click here to download
At the Local Level, we will advocate for and support:
- Opportunities for parent/student participation in budget and policy developments that affect all students. Encourage parent and student participation in review and development of the CUSD Local Control and Accountability Plan.
- Parents, students and community participation as public education advocates. Educate parents and the public about CUSD schools and the positive impact of strong schools on our communities.
- PTA and CUSD partnerships with local businesses and the community to enhance student achievement.
- Programs in our schools, communities and the district that promote diversity and inclusion.
- Educate local stake holders, parents, community members, elected representatives in school funding for facilities and programs.
- Smaller class sizes at primary grade levels.
- Teacher and student resources around the California state standards, including those that promote district-wide success in the Smarter Balance Assessments.
- Continued and expanded access to visual and performing arts programs for all students and promote imbedding the arts into all grade level curriculums.
- High school curriculum, including academic electives and coursework, designed to achieve college and career readiness.
- Equal and consistent site support and access to technology, training and ongoing professional development.
- Effective guidance services and programs for secondary students looking toward to post-graduation college and career options.
Facilities and Technology:
- CUSD to inform the community of the state of facilities and develop plans for modernization, repair, and upgrade of those facilities.
- Implementation of the district’s technology upgrade plan in a timely manner.
Student Wellness and School Climate:
- Prioritizing counseling, physical and mental health services, and student support staff at all schools to provide a supportive, nurturing and safe environment for students.
- Programs that support physical fitness and address childhood obesity. Advocate for increased CUSD support of school athletic programs.
- Programs and health curriculum that address the negative affects that media messages about body image have on a majority of adolescent and teen girls.
- Programs that prevent bullying and cyber-bullying. Advocate for education and resources to support targeted students and their families.
- Maintain funding of School Resource Officers and drug and alcohol education at all middle and high schools.
At the State Level, we will advocate for and support:
- Sufficient funding to repair, modernize, and construct needed school facilities.
- Efforts to guarantee a stable school finance system so that all schools receive adequate funding without relying on ancillary local fundraising.
- Efforts to ensure transparent and effective accountability through Local Control and Accountability Plans.
- Local school districts to have flexibility in decision-making and the allocating of funds, allowing sufficient reserves to support financial stability.
- Improved school attendance through policies that reduce truancy and address chronic absenteeism.
- Furnishing a comprehensive and well-rounded education to every child.
- Funding to ensure access for every student to a full curriculum under the California State Standards, including STEAM and physical education.
- Programs that promote student health and safety, including driving safety.
At the Federal Level, we will:
- Urge Congress to expand and strengthen family engagement provisions in education policy legislation.
- Fight for access to well-rounded curricula, equity protections for disadvantaged populations, and accountability to parents and the community.
- Support measures to ensure student access to highly qualified teachers.
- Urge Congress to increase federal funding for Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) by a minimum of an additional 3% this year, to move towards the commitment made by Congress to authorize federal funding of 40% of IDEA costs.
- Support federal programs and policies that promote safe routes to school, prevent bullying, and protect children from gun violence